Magic in the Middle Cookies
1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup granulated sugar, plus extra for rolling
1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1 stick butter, softened
1/4 cup smooth peanut butter
1 teaspoon vanilla\1 large whole egg
1 large egg yolk only
Center of Cookie Ingredients:
3/4 cup smooth peanut butter
3/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
1. Preheat oven to 375 F.
2. Lightly grease baking sheets (I use parchment paper).
3. To make the dough: In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. In another medium-sized bowl, beat together the sugars, butter and peanut butter until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla, egg, and egg yolk, beating to combine, then stir in the dry ingredients, blending well.
4. To make the filling: In a small bowl, stir together the peanut butter and confectioner sugar until smooth. With floured hands or a teaspoon scoop, roll the filling into 26-one inch balls.
5. To shape the cookies: Scoop 1 Tablespoon of the dough. Make an indentation in the center with your finger and place one of the peanut butter balls into the indentation. Bring the cookie dough up over the filling; pressing the edges together to cover the center; roll the cookie in the palms of your hand to smooth it out into a ball.
6. Repeat with the remaining dough and filling.
7. Roll each cookie in granulated sugar and place on the prepared baking sheets; leaving about 2 inches between each cookie.
8. Grease the bottom of a drinking glass and use it to flatten each cookie to about 1/2 inch thick.
9. Bake the cookies for 7 to 9 minutes, or until they’re set and you can smell chocolate.
10. Remove them from the oven and cool on a wire rack.
* I sprinkle cookies with coarse sugar, but this is optional.